Click here for IBM Press Release
There is a new wave in Open Systems data protection...joining forces IBM and Innovation lead the way
with z/OS Distributed Data Protection and Non-disruptive Disaster Recovery using high-speed System z
mainframe TS1130 tape, ProtecTIER deduplication, TS7700 VTL, DS8000 disk storage and high performance
System z FICON channels...NOT your TCP/IP Network.
FDRSOS together with IBM System z and IBM DS8700/DS8800® present a highly scalable and secure distributed
data protection and disaster recovery solution for enterprise Linux on System z, as well as for distributed
open systems servers; offering a better way to provide business data and disaster recovery protection, by
leveraging the z/OS Distributed Data Backup capabilities of the DS8700/DS8800, to move data across high performance
System z FICON channels and ensure the highest level of business resiliency.
Click here to view: IBM Announcement -
z/OS DISTRIBUTED DATA BACKUP, a no cost feature of the DS8700.
Click here to view: IBM RedPaper on FDRSOS.
Click here to view: IBM Tech University 2010 IBM FDRSOS Presentation.
Click here to order: INNOVATION WhitePaper on FDRSOS.
FDRSOS, a cross platform z/OS solution running on System z, provides the ultimate in enterprise data protection
and disaster recovery for AIX, Linux, UNIX, Windows & Linux on System z data. FDRSOS in conjunction with
IBM DS8700/DS8800® and z/OS Distributed Data Backup (zDDB), dually accessible disk storage, and IBM FlashCopy™ makes
open system volume backup non-disruptive, as Open System disks are protected (backup/restore) by z/OS and the
System z mainframe using high-speed TS1130 tape, ProtecTIER de-duplication, TS770 VTL or DS8000 disk,
over high performance System FICON channels.
FDRSOS data never travels on the network and therefore does not consume TCP/IP CPU resources.
Backup and restore is at the volume level and the data transfer is at FICON channel speed.
Backups will, no longer take too long…congest networks…or leave you worrying about a
reliable recovery. There is no TCP/IP data transfer to consume CPU resources, with
FDRSOS. Data transfer is across high performance System z FICON channels.
- Taking distributed data backup off communication networks
- Ensuring production schedule are no longer constrained by a backup window
- Empowering Open Systems backup with System z mainframe strengths
- Maximizing value by avoiding costly customized integration projects
- Protecting investments in existing System z mainframe resources
FDRSOS delivers ultra-high speed, non-disruptive, cross platform Open Systems disk volume backup and rapid recovery utilizing:
- IBM DS8700/DS8800 zDDB data sharing technology to take Open System & Linux on System z volume backup and restore off your TCP/IP network.
- IBM FlashCopy hardware replication to make volume backup non-disruptive.
- High performance FICON data transfer for rapid movement of more data in less time.
UPSTREAM/SOS, an option of FDR/UPSTREAM provides FDRSOS users with file level enterprise data
protection for AIX, Linux, UNIX, Windows and Linux on System z without putting backup data on
the communications network.
- Off-network logical file level data protection
- High speed Incremental Backup with rapid full volume recovery
- Online Database Backup Agents – ORACLE, DB2, MS Exchange, Lotus Notes, etc.
- Critical backups optionally remain on local backup disk for immediate retrieval
- z/OS security (RACF, ACF) and tape management (CA1, TMS, RMM)
- Protects investment in existing mainframe hardware, software and auto-ops
- Centralized administrative control and management reporting via GUI Director
FDRSOS data never travels on the network and therefore does not consume TCP/IP CPU
resources. Backup and restore is at the volume level and the data transfer is at FICON channel speed.
FDRSOS and UPSTREAM/SOS work together with IBM System z high performance FICON and DS8700/DS8800
storage to ensure the highest level of business resiliency for your AIX, Linux, UNIX, Windows and
Linux on System z applications.
return to top